We are living in a world today where lemonade is made from artificial flavours and furniture polish is made from real lemons. Lemons are a favourite all over the world and an essential food in kitchens everywhere. In this blog, we will talk about the benefits of lemon, its characteristics and some home made remedies that you would surely love.
BENEFITS OF LEMON
- Lemon is a good source of vitamin C.
- The juices in lemon greatly improve your skin tone and quality.
- For all the fitness lovers, lemon is the “it”thing.
- It aids digestion and makes your tummy feel wonderful
- It freshens breath and can make you feel rejuvinated the entire day
- This also helps prevent kidney stones.
SOME CHARACTERISTICS OF LEMON
Common name: lemon
Botanical name: Citrus limon
Varieties: Bonnie, Eureka, Femminello, Meyer, Ponderosa
Design ideas: Can be grown outdoors and indoors.
Height: 10-12 ft. (3-3.6 m)
Spacing: 6-8 ft.
Sun Exposure: Full Sun
Danger: Plant has spines or sharp edges; use extreme caution when handling
Bloom Colour: Pale Pink, White/Near White
Bloom Time: Late Spring/Early Summer
Other details: Flowers are fragrant
Soil pH requirements: 6.1 to 6.5 (mildly acidic),6.6 to 7.5 (neutral)
Propagation Methods: From seed; winter sow in vented containers, cold frame or unheated greenhouse.
Seed Collecting: Allow unblemished fruit to ripen; clean and dry seed, Seed does not store well; sow as soon as possible.
HOW TO PICK A GOOD LEMON
- Heavier lemons will have the most mineral content and sugar, thus thick-skinned lemons will be lighter than thin-skinned lemons and will have less sweetness and fewer minerals.
- The ones with the most juice will have finely-grained texture peels.
- Lemons should be fully yellow; the ones with green tinges have not fully ripened and will be very acidic.
- Over-ripe lemons will have a wrinkling look, soft or hard patches and will not be a vibrant yellow.
- Lemons stay fresh kept at room temperature (not in sunlight) for about seven to 10 days; or store them in the refrigerator crisper for about four to five weeks.
HOW TO USE LEMONS?
- “When life gives you a lemon… squeeze it, mix it with six ounces of water and drink twice daily.
- A bowl of fresh lemons will add fragrance and colour to a room for days.
- To reducing sodium intake, squeeze fresh lemon on salads, steamed vegetables, soups and stews.
- Roll a lemon on the counter a few times before squeezing to maximize the amount of juice.
- Lemon juice can be stored for later use by putting freshly squeezed lemon juice in ice cube trays until frozen, then store them in containers in the freezer.
- Dried lemon zest should be stored in a cool and dry place in an airtight glass container.
- The zest of fresh lemon is a wonderful addition to cakes, cookies and in vegetables.
- Finally…try a Lemon Facial Cleanser
Lemon has dual benefits. Not only does its juice have so many benefits, its peel also can be beneficial in many different ways. Watch the video below to know!
So, with this we have come to the end of our blog about lemons! We hope that you had a good read 🙂 Keep consuming lemon and stay spirited forever!