Yard Long Bean Seeds:
- Pole beans will grow in a climbing vine and require a trellis or staking. Bush beans will spread up to 2 feet but do not require support.
- It takes 4-6 days to germinate
- Bush beans: Plant 2 inches apart.
- Pole beans: Set up trellises and plant 3 inches apart.
- Water regularly, from start of pod to set. Water on sunny days so foliage will not remain soaked.
- Beans require normal soil fertility. Only fertilize where levels are low. Begin after heavy bloom and set of pods.
- Use a light hand when applying high-nitrogen fertilizer, or you will get lush plants and few beans.
- Mulch soil to retain moisture; make sure that it is well-drained.
- Beans are picked at an immature stage, when the seeds inside have not yet fully developed.
- Look for firm, sizable pods and snap or cut off the plant. Do not tear the plant.
- Store beans in a moisture-proof, airtight container in the refrigerator. Beans will toughen over time even when stored properly.
- Beans can be kept fresh for about 4 days, or blanched and frozen immediately after harvesting.Beans can also be canned or pickled.
Check our video on best method for good germination of seeds