The world outside is drenched in colour, why not reflect it in your own terrariums. There is no perfect way to make your terrarium, perfection is an illusion; just do your best and enjoy.
A terrarium is a miniature indoor garden inside a glass container. To create your dream terrarium, follow these easy, simple and interesting steps.
Step 1: Supplies you need in making your terrariums
- Potting soil: Choose light soil with lots of drainage.
- Pebbles or gravel Choose stones 1/4 of an inch or smaller for drainage, but choose whatever you’d like for topdressing.
- Activated charcoal: Unless the container the plant will be in has a drainage hole, use activated charcoal pieces. This keeps the soil fresh.
- Sheet moss: It provides a “sponge” for absorbing excess water.
- Gloves: You should be wear gloves and a long-sleeved shirt to prevent fungal infection. Gloves are also helpful when handling charcoal.
- Decoration: Pick any decoration you’d like to add to your terrarium. Examples – include miniature garden gnomes, shells, rocks, small statues or aquarium décor.
Step 2: Choose a container
Choosing a container can be anything that will allow the plant to grow and give adequate drainage. For example, bell jars, aquariums, vases, glass bowls, etc.
Step 3: Choose the plants
Classic plants for a terrarium include (but are not limited to) ferns, mosses, succulents, and cacti. Pick a plant that are easy to grow, inexpensive, and stay small. Plants that prefer shade are best.
Step 4: Planting your terrarium
- Clean your container well.
- Add rocks for drainage.
- Add a layer of moss.
- Add in activated charcoal.
- Put in the soil.
- Add the Plants.
- Add your decorations.
- Lightly water your terrarium.
Step 5: Maintenance
Keep your plants free of weed and mold. Water them occasionally. Keep it as a centre piece on your desk and enjoy.
If you are in Bangalore, you can also buy terrareums from us – just order online and get them delivered to your doorstep.