In a vertical garden, we can grow a wide range of plants; some are edible, some strictly for beautifying purposes, while some are for both. Vertical gardens are a green solution to urban gardening problems within a limited space. Ornamental plants not only add to the aesthetic sense of the place but also help in making the space eco-friendly.
In this write up we will discuss the various ornamental plants including both foliage and flowering plants.
NOTE: Check out our portable vertical gardens – these are easy to install and maintain – and you can buy them online and get them home delivered anywhere in India !
- Sword Fern: They are most common vertical garden plants used, nowadays. Often grown in hanging baskets on green walls.
- Botanical name: Nephrolepis exaltata
- Light and temperature: light to heavy shade; most ferns like an average temperature of 65-75 degrees F
- Soil: pH should be around 7-8
- Water: regular watering and never let the soil get completely dry.
- Height: up to 4-5 feet
- Golden Pothos or Money plant: It is a vining plant that is super easy to care for. They easily grow and spread over a wide length of the wall. Botanical name: Epipremnum aureum
- Light and temperature: money plant prefers indirect light and will tolerate low light; thrives better in humid areas such as bathroom walls
- Soil: grows best in fertile loamy soil of pH range 6.0-7.5;
- Water: needs watering every 7 to 10 days when the top 2 inches of soil is dry
- Height: grows up to a length of 20 feet
- English ivy: Ivy is a hardy, evergreen vine. It attaches itself by aerial rootlets to the walls and other surfaces. Grown primarily for its lush foliage, which forms a cool green cover on walls or whichever vertical surface they’re grown on.
- Botanical name: Hedera helix
- Light and temperature: full to partial sun; 50-70 degrees F
- Soil: well-drained loamy soil, either acidic, neutral or alkaline in nature
- Water: average watering is required
- Height: 20-90 feet
- Giant lilyturf: They have dense spreading strap-like leaves that are glossy and dark green. Though it is grown for its dense green foliage, it does bloom in summer and its flowers are quite showy.
- Botanical name: Liriope gigantea
- Light and temperature: full-sun to full-shade; 60-70 degrees F
- Soil: well-drained loamy or clayey soil with pH ranging from neutral to acidic
- Water: needs regular watering throughout the growing season.
- Height: up to 4 feet tall.
- Philodendron: It is easy to take care of, because if you watch the signals, the plant will tell you exactly what it needs. They are comfortable both as indoor and outdoor plants.
- Botanical name: Philodendron scandens
- Light and temperature: bright indirect sunlight; 75-85 degrees F
- Soil: a soil of pH 6.0-6.5 is ideal for philodendron
- Water: while watering philodendron plants, allow the top inch of the soil to dry out between watering.
- Height: grows up to a length of 10-20 feet
- Geranium varieties: They bloom in burst of deep reds, scarlet, pinks, white, purple etc. with flowers lasting the entire gardening season.
- Botanical name: Geranium dissectum
- Light and temperature: bright to medium light is needed along with 60-70 degrees F.
- Soil: well-drained potting soil of pH range 6.0-7.5
- Water: known to be drought tolerant, occasional watering can be carried out
- Height: grows up to 12 inches tall
- Flower colours: pink, blue, orange, white, red.
- Wedding vines: Wedding vine derives its name from the decoration purpose it serves at weddings. It’s grown vertically widely for its pure white, waxy, intensely fragrant flowers.
- Botanical name: Stephanotis floribunda
- Light and temperature: 70-90 degrees F
- Soil: high content of loam and peat moss.
- Water: water until the soil mixture is drenched; the mixture should drain freely
- Height: grows up to 6 feet or more
- Flower colours: pure white
8) Peace lily: Peace lily is used in a vertical garden owing to its quickly growing ability. Easy to grow as they are tolerant to lower light and low humidity.
- Botanical name: Spathiphyllum wallisii
- Light and temperature: bright to medium light; 65-80 degrees F temperature
- Water: water at least once a week and spritz the leaves with distilled water throughout the summer growing season.
- Height:up to 2 feet (60 cm)
- Flowers: white
9) Star jasmine: Evergreen plant and can be easily trained on trellis.
- Botanical name: Trachelospermum jasminoides
- Light and temperature: full to partial sun
- Water: average watering is needed.
- Height:3-9 metres
- Flowers: white
10) English lavender: Evergreen garden herb thrives in summer heat and dry weather. They are also grown for its medicinal and culinary uses.
- Botanical name:Lavandula
- Light and temperature: full sun; 70-75 degrees F
- Soil: neutral to alkaline soil
- Water: regular watering is not required
- Height:1-2 metres
- Flowers: lavender in colour
NOTE: GreenMyLife offers landscaping services in Bangalore – we can build beautiful vertical gardens for residential and commercial spaces ! Get in touch.
You must be logged in to post a comment.