Many studies have shown that one of the leading causes of mental stress and discontent in human beings, is a feeling of disconnect from nature. Turn your home into a green haven, with the help of the following greenery. The following plants are the best fit to make your home feel alive and vibrant, with the space they occupy complemented by their bright colours. These plants look really nice when you put them in hanging planters
Note: You can buy hanging planters from our online store. These plants also look really nice in our wooden planters, available online for delivery anywhere in India
- Foxtail Fern
- Botanical Name: Asparagus densiflorus
- Other Names: Meyers Asparagus, Cat’s Tail
- Light: Bright light
- Water: Water thoroughly, allowing soil to dry between watering. Water sparingly during winter.
- Height: 2-3 ft. (60-90 cm)
- Benefits: Useful as border plants along flowers, have moderate salt tolerance (can be used for seaside planting)
Although its common name includes ‘fern’, the Foxtail Fern is actually a plant with seeds, not a fern. It got its name because of the clumped nature of the plant which resembles that of ferns.
- Asparagus Fern
- Botanical Name: Protasparagus setaceus
- Other Names: Common fern, Lilyfern
- Light: Partial shade is ideal, it can get accustomed to more light
- Water: Ideally watered regularly, allowing soil to dry out, but can handle long periods without water
- Height: Can grow upto 10 ft.
- Benefits: Its texture makes it ideal for hanging basket plantings
These plants grow small white flowers in the spring, followed by purplish black berries.
- Peperomia caperata
- Botanical Name: Peperomia caperata
- Other Names: Emerald Ripple, Red Luna
- Light: No direct sun, low to moderate light
- Water: Water so that the soil is barely moist. Water sparingly in winter.
- Height: 8 in (20cm)
- Benefits: The nature of its foliage make it a valuable addition to a dish garden or a terrarium.
Yellow and green variegated leaves of Peperomia obtusifolia or desert privet in a terracotta pot.
This plant actually grows optimally under fluorescent grow lights, which make it an ideal plant for the office or in the house.
- Boston Fern
- Botanical Name: Nephrolepis exaltata
- Other Names: Sword Fern, Fishbone Fern
- Light: Indirect light, moderate shade
- Water: Keep them moist, they need a very humid atmosphere
- Height: 2-8 ft (50-250cm)
- Benefits: It is a very hardy plant, thus making it a popular houseplant. Also it is non-toxic, so even if domesticated animals eat it by mistake, there is no harm done.
These plants give a warm ambiance to the surroundings as they are generally found in tropical regions of the world, also in rainforests, and swamps.
- Peace Lily
- Botanical Name: Spathiphyllum cochlearispathum
- Other Names: Spath
- Light: Low to medium light, as the light increases the white blooms on the plant increase proportionally
- Water: Can be watered sparingly, low water requirement
- Height: 12-65 cm
- Benefits: It is a very helpful plant to purify the air. It has been ranked in NASA’s top three plants that remove VOC’s (volatile organic compounds) from the air.
When taking care of this plant, one of the main things to look out for is the risk of overwatering as this is the most common reason for the death of a Peace Lily.
- Arrowhead Vine
- Botanical Name: Syngonium podophyllum
- Other Names: American evergreen, Five fingers
- Light: Bright, filtered light, as direct sunlight will cause the leaves to burn or bleach
- Water: Mist the plant daily, to keep it humid and moist for optimal growing conditions
- Height: 5-10 ft. (150-300 cm)
- Benefits: Provides a nice complement to trees, as it grows alongside them
It is an extremely lush, dense plant which requires cutting and layering regularly to keep it in control.
- Botanical Name: Rhoeo discolor, Rhoeo spathacea
- Other Names: Boat lily, Oyster plant
- Light: Partial to full shade
- Water: Water very sparingly, extremely drought tolerant
- Height: 1-1.5 ft. (30-45cm)
- Benefits: It is a quick growing ground cover, with attractive clumps
These plants are extremely tolerant to adverse conditions and can even grow in cracks of cement, etc. Propagation is by division of clumps.
- Hens and chicks plant
- Botanical Name: Sempervivum tectorum
- Other Names: Houseleeks
- Light: Direct, full sunlight
- Water: Little water required, dry soil optimal
- Height: 4-8 in. (10-20cm)
- Benefits: These can grow in any climate, and provide numerous amounts of small rosette shaped plants in return.
Hens and chicks plant
In this plant, the ‘hen’ is the mother plant which grows to the size of a small plate, and the ‘chicks’ are the small babies which are numerous and are only the size of a rupee.
- Purple Shamrock
- Botanical Name: Oxalis triangularis
- Other Names: False Shamrock, Love Plant
- Light: For vibrant plants, direct sunlight is required
- Water: Needs to be watered regularly, allowing the soil to dry out between watering
- Height: 15-25cm
- Benefits: These plants are known for their beautiful shades of light purple and pink.
If it gets too dry, the plant will go into dormancy mode, but not die out completely. Once it starts to receive proper water, then the flowers will start to bloom once more.
- Heart-shaped Philodendron
- Botanical Name: Philodendron scandens
- Other Names: Sweetheart Plant, Heartleaf Philodendron
- Light: Moderate to bright light, with no direct sun
- Water: Keep the soil lightly moist, except in the winter, when it should be allowed to dry out
- Height: 4-5 ft. (1.2-1.4m)
- Benefits: It is a versatile plant, as it can grow either as a vine/creeper or a potted plant, based on your preference.
It is a popular houseplant, as it is extremely easy to grow. Light watering with a sunny environment is enough for this plant to prosper.
You may want to check out these indoor plants that are available for Bangalore delivery on our online store.